Creating a distinct living area in which the temperature is controlled through a thermostat is called zoning. Using a zoning method throughout your house can help keep every room comfortable throughout the year.
Commonly used to control the difference in temperature between a basement, main floor and sometimes top floor, zoning offers you the ability to use multiple thermostats throughout your house.
In most South Dakota homes you will find only one thermostat controlling the comfort levels for the entire house. This thermostat is usually located in a hallway and will keep the hallway at the temperature you set while other areas of the home range from too hot to too cold. Zoning allows a thermostat in each room (or zone) for individual temperature control.
Benefits of Zone Control
- Provides room by room comfort control
- Reduces equipment run time
- Eliminates hot/cold room
- Works with conventional air conditioning units, furnaces, and heat pumps
- Allows you to heat or cool only the areas you want
- Saves energy and reduces utility bills